The Old mill in 1873
The Old Mill Restaurant
The Old Mill in 2016
Primrose Retirement Community of Austin recently went back in time while going out for lunch at the Old Mill Restaurant. The outing was educational and fun, and pictures of The Old Mill in the 1800’s and 1900’s were framed on the walls. The pictures made all of us feel like we jumped back into time.
The Old mill restaurant has been around for a long time. It was originally a flour mill in 1873 and in the 1900’s the builder of the mill died, leaving it to his son. In 1903 it became a mill for grinding feed, and in 1933 it closed down for good due to the rise of large flour companies. In 1948, Ray and Mary Stromer purchased The Old Mill and turned it into a restaurant. Dave and Ann Forland, owners since 1988, are continuing to carry on the tradition of one of the most historic restaurants in southern Minnesota.