Retirement is a wonderful thing! Being afforded the time to see and do things you always wanted to do but never had the time for is extremely enjoyable and rewarding. Part of retirement involves meeting new people and making new friends – and this can be challenging for some seniors. Here are five ways you can build new friendships in your retirement:
- Find a way to volunteer – Use your newfound free time to give back to those in your community who may be in need. Volunteering is also a great way to meet and develop friendships with people who share the same interests as you.
- Continue your education – Many seniors go back to college after they are done working. Education keeps your body and mind active and allows you to learn new skills that may be beneficial to you in your retirement – and there are more seniors enrolling than you may think. Be sure to ask if your local college or university offers reduced tuition options for seniors – many do.
- Join a club – From gardening to golfing, hiking to handball, everyone has an interest in something. Chances are good that there is a club in your town for people with similar interests as you. After attending for a while and getting to know others, friendships are sure to develop.
- Consider semi-retirement – Perhaps you’ll consider taking on a part-time job. There are many employers looking to hire seniors and there is no better way to meet people and make a little extra money.
- Move to a senior living community – What is your current living situation? Do you have neighbors your age close by? Is family close? If your ability to fellowship with others is limited by your location, you may want to consider a senior living community. You’ll live in a safe, friendly environment with great food, roomy apartments and activities to fit all interests. Finding new friends will be easy because you’ll be living in a beautiful building surrounded by your peers. Many who choose senior living comment that they wish they had done it sooner!
No matter your situation, if senior living is an option for you we would be honored to assist you in that journey.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact us by visiting www.primroseretirement.com.